Posted to alt.home.repair
Tekkie® Tekkie® is offline

Default Can my breaker box affect my electric bill?

Kravynn posted for all of us...
I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

I am renting a house. It is a block house built in the mid-late 50s.
For the first couple of years I was running an electric bill around
$300/ month (I live in Florida, about $200 is average here), and I
couldn't get the temp to drop below 80. I finally convinced my
landlord to get a new AC unit. I was anxious to see my "new" electric
bill, only to be devastated when it came in at $465! I started turning
off my water heater during the day, desperate to save money. I keep
the AC set at about 80-82, and it stays pretty cold in the house. This
leads me to believe that the thermostat may not be working properly. At
any rate, another month has passed and this bill came in at right
around $400. My brother is an electrician, he said I probably need to
have the breaker box updated, to much power running off a 150 amp main.
I know that there have been 2 rooms and an AC unit added to the house
since it was built. I would appreciate any suggestions, ideas,
input....My electric bill is more than my rent at this point. I'm a
single mom and I'm in a state of panic.

Thanks, Katia

I didn't read through all the responses so I may be repeating others...

The breaker box has nothing to do with electric consumption other than if there
is an internal problem in it which would result in heat or fire. Does the box
allow you to put your hand on it without being burnt? Some parts may be warmer
than others but NOT hot enough to burn.

Looking logically - you had new AC installed - costs go up - you are cold. My
conclusion is AC never shuts off. It could be the thermostat or another
control. What is the problem and solution is not your concern. Call the AC
company back and have them fix it. The landlord should understand that you are
not complaining for the sake of complaining but rather realize that operating
the system in this manner will shorten it's life and increase his costs. The
company sold this saying it would decrease costs and increase comfort - neither
of which it is doing.
--
Tekkie