Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Can my breaker box affect my electric bill?

"George E. Cawthon" wrote in message
Or live in a house or apartment that is insulated. Don't dispute it but
don't know how AC could be $450 let alone $1000 per month unless one live
in a place where the night temperature was above 90 degrees. Our last
month's bill for electricity was $63 and we keep our AC on 74 degrees.

I've not had a $63 electric bill in years. The last two, with AC were $186
in July, $225 in August and I have a well insulated house, about 2k sq. ft.
Our rate is .162 kWhr. And I'm in Northeast CT, not Florida. If I see an
$85 bill, it is a cheap month with no heating/cooling and minimual light on
long days.

Several possibilities exist. Stupidity--leaving the windows open, leaving
all the curtains open, etc. House is mostly a tin shack with no
insulation or something similar. If you rule those two out then (1) the
AC is not working correctly, (2) some one is stealing the electricity.

The bill was $300 before the new AC. I'm betting on #1