Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Bill is offline

Default comments skew posted wrong NG

On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 07:50:55 -0700, mac davis wrote:

I really didn't consider the skew a useful tool, or at least one that I
used often, until I got into pens... what an education pens are! Mac

Agreed. I seldom use any tool other than a skew when making a pen ... and
of late I've been making several a day. Load the lathe -- crank the rpms
all the way up -- lay the skew side against the wood -- draw it down
until it starts to cut. Turn the tailstock end round, turn the skew around
and turn the headstock end down to round. Resharpen a couple strokes with
the diamond flat and finish turning the pen. The only other tool I use to
make a pen is a scraper used when I get carried away with the CA

The nice thing about the skew is that it allows you to undercut the
bushing slightly to allow for finish buildup so that the finish comes out
even with the bushing and the straight edge can be used as a scraper to
level things out a bit prior to rough sanding.

After rough sanding (350 grit followed by 400 grit J weight strips) I do 3
coats of CA, (lathe ~300 rpm) turn the excess off the bushings and wet
sand with 500 SC (all turning and sanding done at roughly 3,000 rpm). Then
I apply two or three more layers of CA, re-clean the bushings, sand with
500 grit then 1000 grit and then move into the micro-mesh to complete. Two
coats of carnauba oat 3,000 r's and then it's off to the bench press for
assembly.

The skew has little business on any but the smallest of bowls ... as far
as I'm concerned, that's scraper and gouge work. But the skew -lives- for
small spindle work -- and that's what pens are.

Bill