Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren Oren is offline

Default Can my breaker box affect my electric bill?

On 28 Aug 2006 13:00:49 -0700, wrote:

dpb wrote:
All other posts (so far) reasonable suggestions altho ditching the new
central A/C for a window unit seems extreme before finding out more...

Actually, it seems extremely pracitical for a couple reasons.

Maybe not. I expect to open windows and turning off the AC in the next
30 - 45 days. I live in the Mojave desert. In mid to late September it
cools down and we open up the house. Adding cost to AC for a single
mom might not be best for the moment.

Can't speak to the panel.

1. The bill is big enough to be big problem for OP, who needs to cut it
_now_.

Use energy (appliances) during non-peak hours. Kids with a runny
noise can get by without AC, wash clothes off peak, dishwasher during
the night...examples only.

2. There is possible problem with t-stat and/or a/c sizing.

I would do a factory default reset on a digital T-Stat. A non-digital
would go by the way side, in my case.

3. Central air cools way more of house, possibly, than you'd want to
pay to cool.

A season change and the OP can turn it off and open windows.

4. Insulation (toss in sealing) is suspect too, causing a/c to try to
cool the county.

A friend had two second floor rooms, extremely hot. When he finally
got up into the space he found three rooms - no insulation by any
means.

5. Efficience of central a/c is suspect.

I'd ditch the money/energy sucker in a heartbeat.

OP spends all the money on a power bill...

Oren