Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] ejb@ts-aligner.com is offline

Default Table Saw Blade

Hi Thunder,

Some of the better blades (Forrest, for example) are spec'ed at +/-
0.001" (0.002" total indicated reading). 0.005" for a blade isn't so
bad. Unless you really know what to look for, it would be hard to see
this amount of wobble by eye. If you can see it, it's bad.

Blades warp when they get stressed (thermally or mechanically). So, if
your saw is poorly aligned and you regularly see burn marks, then don't
expect your blade to remain very flat. Kickback is another great blade
bender which can be avoided with good saw alignment. It just doesn't
take much to warp such a thin steel plate.

You need to be able to distinguish between blade warp or other
arbor/flange problems. A 0.005" wobble in the arbor or flange is
unacceptably large indicating a serious problem (bent arbor, worn
bearings, etc.). Arbor and flange runout should be less than 0.001" on
a good machine. I have some video procedures which demonstrate how to
check it:

http://www.ts-aligner.com/video.htm

It's in the "Table Saw" section. If you don't mind watching all the
other table saw related alignment/adjustments then this is where you'll
find it. I'm working on seperating these (and other) sequences out
with new voiceover for The Woodworking Channel and will also post them
on my web site when ready.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Ed Bennett

http://www.ts-aligner.com
Home of the TS-Aligner

Rolling Thunder wrote:
What is acceptable wobble for a TS blade? .005" or is that
for the motor bearing? I just noticed my main TS blade isn't
straight; like it got bent out of shape and doesn't appear to
run true looking at it by eye sight.

TIA,

Thunder