Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn Goedjn is offline

Default Treating fungi

On 27 Aug 2006 07:16:15 -0700, "ddvanrooy"
wrote:

Hi All !

I have an 80 year old house. I have recently discovered that there is a
considerable amount of fungi growth on the wooden roof rafters. It
looks like a fine cottonwool-like growth hanging in threads off the
rafters. Although the wood seems ok structurally, I have a suspicion
that it is creating a health problem for us living in the house. Does
anyone know how I can treat the wood to get rid of this problem ??

Regards
DD

Kill it with bleach, let it dry, solve the moisture problem,
and treat it with Bora-care or something similar. The
problem with just drying it and leaving it is that the fungi
will attract wood-eating insects, even if it's dormant.