Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

Default Garden Hose End Re-thread Die

NSN wrote:
The male ends of many of my garden hoses have become somewhat chewed
up and I want to re-thread them properly. I have looked in my Mc
Master-Carr catalog under Die and GHT (Garden Hose Thread) but there
is no listing for the proper die .. either re-threading or primary. I
am sure that it is there under the proper size & pitch but I do not
know what that might be. Any and all help would be appreciated.

As noted, you're probably not going to find a die or tap for a garden
hose thread. The problem is, the male ends aren't cut threads anyway
on anything except perhaps the brass NPT/hose adapters--they're formed.
The female ends are so shallow that you would need a bottom tap and
probably couldn't reach but a portion of the first thread, anyway, even
if you had one.

The suggestion to simply clean up the surfaces seems best suggestion.
If there is some real roughness perhaps the wire brush on the grinder
might make it go a little quicker.