Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] alex.colic@rbc.com is offline

Default How to wire a variable speed drill press

Hi,

I was visiting a wood working shop and I noticed that they had rewired
one of their drill presses to run the motor at a variable rate. It
looked like the original 1HP motor connected to an off switch along
with a variable speed switch. The speed changed by turning the switch
clockwise and counter clock wise.

This sounds like a great idea and speeds up work by not having to keep
changing the belt location on the pulleys.

Could someone please point out how to wire a switch and motor to
achieve this?
Any pros/cons that I would need to know.

Thanks

Alex