Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] mark@justgofaster.com is offline

Default Fixing Heavy Items to Lath and Plaster Walls

Hi,

I'm wanting to lower the ceiling in my bathroom using wood battens
screwed to the wall and gyproc boards. I've seen various posts about
fixing things to the wooden battens underneath the lath and plaster but
will that be strong enough to hold long 2x4 wood battens? Would I be
better trying to drill straight through and into the brick and fixing
to that? If so, any tips on how to do the holes neatly? My masonry
drilling always seems to end up offset or a much bigger hole than
intended. What sort of fixings should I use?

TIA