Posted to uk.d-i-y
nafuk nafuk is offline

Default Extractor fan in bathroom.

Hi, I need a fan also. Can anyone recommend one with a "positive
closure" vent please.
Thank you

chris French wrote:
In message . com,
writes
klkbloke wrote:

Hi All,
I've just moved to a house with a downstairs bathroom hence leaving a
window open after a shower is no longer an option. I thought the best
option would be to install an extractor fan while I'm putting in the
new bathroom suite. However I have two questions...

1) I've seen a fan which operates on a humidistat, not connected to the
light switch in anyway. Has anyone had experience of these? Are they
any good. I'm looking at one for ~£30 from Screwfix.

2) I have an airbrick - well it's actually cast iron. I was planning to
knock that through and use that to install the fan. T

Partially blocking these vents is not a good idea.

We had a similar arrangement in our old house, the internal airbrick was
covered over in the renovations, never caused a problem.

small bathroom fans are really hopeless anyway, and not even worth
switching on at bathtime.

not my experience at all. Had a 100mm inline van in the loft, venting
the bathroom through the roof. operated by a humidistat. It worked very
well, much better than the previous arrangement - a window. Never any
problems with damp, mould etc.

--
Chris French