Posted to alt.home.repair
Erik Erik is offline

Default Garden Hose End Re-thread Die

In article ,
"k" wrote:

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message

"NSN" wrote in message

HOWEVER !!! The internal surface of
my hoses are hexagonal in shape .. not circular. Regardless of what
type of repair product I use and regardless of how tight I clamp down
.. they LEAK. I am 70 years of age and have been playing "repair the
hose" most of my life with great success. These hoses just do not
accept the repair "kits".

So, once again .. any idea of where I can get a re-threading die?

Norm

Why do we always get the "HOWEVER" after the fact? For the cost of a new
die, you can buy a new 125 foot hose at WalMart with a 10 year gaurantee.

thank you.

Even better yet, go to Sears and buy one of their 'Craftsman' logo life
time guarantee hoses. They're black, possibly real rubber, available in
if I recall correctly, 50 and 75 foot lengths, and have beefy for real
machined brass couplings... not the flimsy stamped sheet metal ones like
most hoses today.

Check the packaging and make sure it has the 'Craftsman' logo and
lifetime guarantee info on the packaging, as not all Sears hoses are
lifetime.

They initially cost a few of bucks more, but unless lost or stolen, will
be the last hose you buy. Sears is great about replacing worn
out/damaged hoses without question, no receipt required! Through the
years I've probably taken back 5 or 6 for various reasons... including
one the gardner damaged with his mower. (I outright told them the reason
for the damage to this one, and they still replaced it on the spot!)

The downside is they tend to rub what appears to be black oxidized
rubber material off into your hands once they get to be a a few years
old, but for the most part said material seems to flush off easy with
just a little water.

Hose tip... if you coil your hose up on the ground, and space
permitting, try laying it out in a figure '8' pattern. So stored, you
can pick up the end, and pull the out hose full length kink free! Just
keep the end from dropping through any of the figure eight end loops...

Erik