Posted to rec.woodworking
Leuf Leuf is offline

Default Router table placement choices

On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 19:14:56 -0700, Larry Blanchard
wrote:

Toller wrote:

Any advantages or disadvantages mounting it on the extension table?
There has to be something that I haven't thought of.

I have mine in my TS because I really have no other room.
Before I bought a jointer, planer, sander...**I*had*a*separate*router*table.
It was oh so much better.**But*you*have*to*do*what*you*can*with*the* room*you
have.
If you have the room, the choice is obvious.

For mounting on the saw, it's hard to beat the cast iron table made by, IIRC,
Bench Dog. Not cheap, but really nice.

Grizzly has one that's a lot cheaper, but it doesn't have an insert
plate, just a hole for the bit. Router clamps to the underside. Also
doesn't come with a fence, but having two fences on your saw would be
a PITA anyway.

I was dead set on putting mine in the wing, but then I realized I had
a 4'x2' cabinet that wasn't really being utilized very well, just had
the benchtop spindle sander sitting on it, and a pile of crap next to
it. I will have to do some reconfiguring to make it happen, but still
less work than building an extension that won't sag.

-Leuf