Posted to alt.home.repair
TakenEvent TakenEvent is offline

Default ice dams

"mrbeanfan" wrote in message
oups.com...
The house was built in 1950.
The current rooms were always there I believe.

I do have gable vents at the end of each "kneewall" area, and one at
the very top of the attic.

The heated air needs someplace to go, so there should be proper vents
running up over the kneewalls to a ridge vent

This is what it looks like

x x
x x
x x
x ------ x
x ____ x
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx x x

The area inside the triangle on the one side of the house is used for
storage.
Up the straight portion is insulated up to where the wall meets the
angled ceiling.
I pulled out the very top part so that air can rise to the roof vents
(there are three box vents on the very top.

What do you mean by "proper vents" running up over the kneewalls?

[...]

Here are some links with pictures that will make everything much more clear.

http://www.owenscorning.com/around/v...mate_attic.asp

http://www.adoproducts.com/duro.html

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BQL9EE