Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Mark is offline

Default How to read a/c charge - what are normal pressures ??

Stormin Mormon wrote:
Bryant Air Conditioner 24000 btu split system - R-22.

I would like to read the charge on this system.

I know I will get flamed for this by the pros, but whatever....

If your system has the correct charge then the evap coil will be cold
for its full length but somewhere along the return pipe to the
compressor it will start to feel warmer indicting all the freon liquid
has evaporated and only vapor is returning to the compressor.

If the system is overcharged, the return pipe will be cold all the way
back to the compressor and liquid freon may be entering the comp which
is not really a good thing.

If the system is low on charge, then only a portion of the evap oil
will be cold, the portion nearest the expansion valve.

In short, with the correct charge, the full evap coil is cold, but not
the retun pipe.

This is obviously a guideline. Also, if you don't know what I mean by
evap coil or expansion valve then you need to do a bit more studying.

Mark