Posted to alt.home.repair
zero zero is offline

Default Garden Hose End Re-thread Die

"NSN" wrote in message
On Sun, 27 Aug 2006 20:50:53 GMT, NSN wrote:

The male ends of many of my garden hoses have become somewhat chewed
up and I want to re-thread them properly. I have looked in my Mc
Master-Carr catalog under Die and GHT (Garden Hose Thread) but there
is no listing for the proper die .. either re-threading or primary. I
am sure that it is there under the proper size & pitch but I do not
know what that might be. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Norm

Thanks for the two replies. I have quite a few of those replacement
ends .. both plastic and brass. HOWEVER !!! The internal surface of
my hoses are hexagonal in shape .. not circular. Regardless of what
type of repair product I use and regardless of how tight I clamp down
.. they LEAK. I am 70 years of age and have been playing "repair the
hose" most of my life with great success. These hoses just do not
accept the repair "kits".

So, once again .. any idea of where I can get a re-threading die?

Norm

The threads do not seal the hose, only the gasket inside.

If screwing them together is what is rough and difficult, wire brush the
male and female ends, them polish them with a little automobile wax.

If fresh gaskets do not seal the connections, you need new ends or a new
hose.

-zero