Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] john.sabine@gmail.com is offline

Default Routers - the wood cutting type.

dcbwhaley wrote:
As a largely self taught woodworker I have decided the time has come to
teach myself to use a router. My reason for this is that I am building
fitted bookcases (in MDF) and I would like to fit those long brass
adjustable shelf support strips.

Having just completed (well, nearly) a similar project from a pretty
unskilled start, I'd say you'll be OK with almost any router *for this
job* - my bookcases have been done with an allegedly 1200W 1/4in/8mm
Homebase one that cost twenty quid on special offer.

For the money, it has been great, but not being able to use 1/2in bits
is becoming too limiting for me: on the other hand, it is very light
and manageable, and has a fairly smooth plunge.

Bits - I took the approach of buying a half-decent box set to see what
I used, and then good bits for specific purposes. For slots for the
shelf strips, I've got a Freud bit that cost more than the router, and
gives a much better cut than the equivalent in my box set. From limited
experience, I think it's easier to do a good job with good bits and a
crap router than with a top-end machine but cheap bits.

One word of warning on bookcase strips. If you decide that routing the
slots to be a tight fit is a good idea, then assemble the bookcases,
and then paint them, you may find that a large rubber mallet is
insufficient to persuade the strips to fit.

I ended up using sanding drums in a brand new Dremel (gutless and made
of cheese - it's going back), which was less dull than sanding the
paint overspill by hand or trying to make some special scraping tool.
Cut the slots oversize, mask thoroughly, or paint with a roller (oh,
and suck these eggs carefully while you're about it ....).

Regards

John