Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] noelogara@hotmail.com is offline

Default Replacing window pane. 'Putty' recommendations.

wrote:

I thought acrylic sealants were generally not as long lived as
silicone, which itself isnt longlived enough for wooden glazing.
Linseed normally lasts over a century. It can fail of course, but as
often as acrylic? I doubt it.

NT

I find white silicone very convenient to use rather than putty. You
could run round several windows in an hour with a tube of silicone and
if you were to replace the putty it would take days.
Putty has had its day. It is obsolete because its so difficult to
remove and when it drys it lets the rain in. I wouldnt take it for
nothing.

We have to move on with the new materials. I guess silicone and related
products have replaced many of the difficult finishing jobs like
sealing door and window frames and skirting and decorating etc etc.