Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Garden Hose End Re-thread Die

"NSN" wrote in message
The male ends of many of my garden hoses have become somewhat chewed
up and I want to re-thread them properly. I have looked in my Mc
Master-Carr catalog under Die and GHT (Garden Hose Thread) but there
is no listing for the proper die .. either re-threading or primary. I
am sure that it is there under the proper size & pitch but I do not
know what that might be. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Norm

Save yourself the trouble. At some hardware stores & garden centers, I've
found plastic replacement ends that are very rugged. I don't recall the
brand name, but it's one of the makers of sprayers & other hose accessories.
Green plastic - easy to spot on peg hangers. You cut off the metal end, and
insert the replacement into the hose, which is a bitch unless you spit on it
or apply just a little silicone spray or something similar. Then, you attach
the supplied clamps around the outside of the hose. I've got 20 year old
hoses I've fixed this way and the threads are still in good shape.

Buy extras when you find them.