Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Replacing window pane. 'Putty' recommendations.

Liam wrote:
On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 22:24:20 +0100, Liam
wrote:

Whats the best available material around for sealing a replacement
pane in a single glazed wooden sash window? Used Linseed Oil Putty on
the last one but that was five years ago.

Thank you all for your advice.This time I had a bit of a job to find a
shop selling glass cut to size. Three local ones had shut. Eventually
found one still open. Only silicone and linseed oil available so I
ended up using linseed oil putty again. Will get some Acrylic from
Screwfix to try on the next one.Wish you all a restful bank holiday.

I thought acrylic sealants were generally not as long lived as
silicone, which itself isnt longlived enough for wooden glazing.
Linseed normally lasts over a century. It can fail of course, but as
often as acrylic? I doubt it.

NT