Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby The3rd Earl Of Derby is offline

Default Routers - the wood cutting type.

dcbwhaley wrote:
As a largely self taught woodworker I have decided the time has come
to teach myself to use a router. My reason for this is that I am
building fitted bookcases (in MDF) and I would like to fit those long
brass adjustable shelf support strips.

I have read the diy faq which suggest starting with a 1/4" collet
machine of about 1KW. As I am a great fan of bosch equipment I have
identtified this.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=20301#

Does anybody have any advice or opinions about this.?

And a few silly questions about the capability of these machines. Can
one use a plunge router to drill blind holes? Can wide grooves be
cut by making several passes with a smaller cutter?

The price of cutters varies enormously. A 1/4" straight cutter can
cost anything from £2 to £25. I presume that the cheaper ones are
rubbish and using them would make learning more difficult. At what
sort of price does one begin to get a decent cutter.?

And finally - how is "router" pronounced in this context? :-)

Buy a router with an 1/2" inch collet because you can then come down to an
1/4" collet,usually supplied with a decent branded router plus you tackle
the beefier jobs with is not possible with a 1/4" at times.

Buy of ebay and import from the states as these cutters are 2 or 3 times
the price over here in the UK.

I've just purchased a door panel set of two cutters of ebay Priced 21GBP
inc of P&P I dare say I will pay import duty and vat on its arrival but in
total its going to cost 25GBP,normal price over here 48GBP thereabouts.
These are TC(Tungsten Carbide).

Suggest you buy a cheap set for getting the hang of the router and see what
the different shapes do.

Router,best woodwork tool since sliced bread its the bees knees of any
woodwork power tool.

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite