Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
EOliver EOliver is offline

Default Composite Decking Yellowing in Sun! (Dow Symmatrix)

Veranda and Latitudes both have information on their websites that say
their gray decking will turn yellow or brown. They also state that they
should be even in 30 - 60 days.

http://www.verandadeck.com/installation/index.htm
http://www.ufpi.com/product/latitudes/faq.htm

Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
A friend of mine has purchased enough of Dow Symmatrix for a fairly large
sized deck. Grey color which is officially called "driftwood" apparently.

It is yellowing in the sun while sitting in the driveway. Almost to the
same yellow that old newspaper gets after a few decades out in the open.

The salesman told her words to the effect of "That's an industry wide
problem with gray composites: they yellow due to the tannin within the wood
particles but it'll fade back to gray in a week."

Seems sketchy to me.

It's been a few weeks and it's only staying yellow.

Has anyone seen this? My composite decking was Rhino Deck, and it faded
just fine from brown to light light brown with no yellowing---not much
information for my friend but it was the only comparison I had.

Any suggestions? She's nervous enough to return the entire thing.