Posted to rec.woodworking
James \Cubby\ Culbertson James \Cubby\ Culbertson is offline

Default McFeely's - Square no longer?

"Jay Pique" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just got an email from McFeely's touting the star drive as the next
generation of wood screws. I'm wondering if there's any real advantage
over square drives?

JP

I too received their new catalog and nearly fell over when I saw the Torx
head being touted as the next generation. I have had nothing but problems
with Torx screws and in fact, any time I have to remove one, I'm sure to
replace with something else. I know it's not woodworking but my Jeep is
covered in them. Eveytime I have to remove one, I end up having to get
creative such as drilling it out, welding a nut to it, etc... I'm slowly
getting rid of them all. I'll stick with the square drive for strong
holding applications and standard phillips for those less than important
locations.
Cheers,
cc