Posted to rec.woodworking
Nova Nova is offline

Default cutting a hole through the center of a 1" dowel?

John Doe wrote:
When I want to cut an accurate hole in a short, small diameter dowel
or rod, I put it in my drill press and hold the bit up against the
center of the end while it spins. But when the diameter is greater
than my drill press chuck, like if the dowel diameter is 1" or
greater, is there some crafty way to cut an accurate hole through
the center? The hole needs only to be about 1/2" to 3/4" deep.

Thank you.

Example: If you're drilling a 1" diameter dowel. Clamp a piece if
scrap wood to your drill press table. Chuck up a 1" forester bit and
drill a locating hole for the dowel in the scrap. Without moving the
clamped piece of scrap remove the forester bit an chuck the appropriate
sized drill. Place the dowel in the locating hole. Drill the dowel.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA