Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Lynch Peter Lynch is offline

Default Routers - the wood cutting type.

On 27 Aug 2006 08:27:20 -0700, dcbwhaley wrote:
As a largely self taught woodworker I have decided the time has come to
teach myself to use a router. My reason for this is that I am building
fitted bookcases (in MDF) and I would like to fit those long brass
adjustable shelf support strips.

I have read the diy faq which suggest starting with a 1/4" collet
machine of about 1KW. As I am a great fan of bosch equipment I have
identtified this.

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=20301#

Does anybody have any advice or opinions about this.?

Yup, looks fine. You'll find cheaper/better, pricier/crappier ones.
FYI, in this country Trend seems to be the benchmark brand ... partly
because of the range of accessories you can get for them.

And a few silly questions about the capability of these machines. Can
one use a plunge router to drill blind holes?

yes, but see below abot bracing

Can wide grooves be cut by making several passes with a smaller cutter?

yes, but get/make a jig to restrict the lateral movement, or buy one
of these:
http://tinyurl.com/pr47c

One thing about using a router. Since the router bit "bites" into
the wood, you get a lateral force imparted by this burrowing action.
This means that you should always have the router braced against
something, otherwise you will likely find the cut deviates from a line.

The price of cutters varies enormously. A 1/4" straight cutter can
cost anything from £2 to £25. I presume that the cheaper ones are
rubbish and using them would make learning more difficult. At what
sort of price does one begin to get a decent cutter.?

And finally - how is "router" pronounced in this context? :-)

like "outer", not "ooter"

--
.. never trust a man who, when left alone ...... Pete Lynch .