Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Unregistered Unregistered is offline

Default Why would pins 3 & 100 on a DDR DIMM fry?

Homer J Simpson wrote:
"Unregistered" wrote:

Nice idea, but it doesn't quite fit the circumstances.

The burned positions on the DIMM match the correct positions on the
socket, and those positions are also burned. If it fried when it was
put in backwards, then they shouldn't match.

Here's another clue that may help: someone was apparently trying to
install more memory into the computer when this happened. (When I got
the computer back, there was only the single module, though.)

Maybe the additional module somehow caused power to be fed back through
those two pins on the existing module?

Odd but will we ever know now?

I don't know the answer, if that's what you mean.

I was hoping some smart people here could help me understand what happened.

I had sold this computer to somebody. It was working fine. The person
I sold it to said she took it to a friend to install more memory. They
say that it fried before they fooled with it. I don't believe them.

Not that it really matters now, but I really would like to understand
what happened.