Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pennies in the Fuse Box

yeeha wrote:
RBM (remove this) wrote:
Don't screw anything in the plug fuse sockets but proper sized fuses. The
two pullouts probably have something written on them like: Range and Main,
the one that says "main" when pulled should kill power to all four plug
fuses below

the two pullouts don't have any writing, but im sure you're right

this gives me confidence to pull the two pullouts... then remove the
remaining threads from the broken fuse...

me and electricity don't get along

I've had 440 go through me one time...

it shuddered my whole body for about what felt like.. 4-6 seconds...
my whole life flashed before my eyes...

my ring burnt my finger during that surge, my necklace burnt my neck...
that sort of heat...

but since that day.. I stopped hearing voices

BEFORE you go messing with the broken fuse, connect a wire to a good
ground like the shell of the main panel, pull the main and then MAKE
certain its dead, preferably with a meter but if not put the grounded
wire to the center of the fuse and look for sparks.

I had a fuse box that pulling main did NOT kill all the fuses

ended up pulling the meter to get the broken fuse out.

some will certinally say shorting to the fuse is wrong, but this PROVES
it dead and is way better than getting shocked!

right now I have a meter that isnt working all the time with such a
meter checking for power at the fuse could lead to a deadly wrong
conclusion.

I have gotten wrapped so much over the years I dont usually get upset,
but do TRY to avoid it!

One fine day I leaned on a steam radiator to pull a plug on a radio, So
I could plug in the jammed copier.... I was there to fix it....

Next thing I knew I was on the floor across the room

Idiot customer noticed radio power plug was bad and wrapped masking
tape around wires

By the time I touched it and couldnt see it buried behind stuff, the
masking tape had dried out and mostly fallen off.

I took the radio masking tape and all to the principal and reported
what happened and pointed out a student could of been killed! Then cut
the power plug off the radio so no one else got hit.... while the
principal watched...

Across my heat with that good ground it was a close thing.

I avoid touching any grounded things whenever possible.......