Posted to alt.home.repair
Jack Jack is offline

Default Ventilation in crawl space

Dejola wrote:
I live in northern Westchester County, N.Y. My house is built above a
crawl space with a dirt floor. Last year I had expanding foam
insulation installed between the floor joists above the dirt floor. The
height between the dirt floor and the bottom of the floor joists varies
from a high of about five feet to a low of about six inches (the house
is built on a slope).

I have heard conflisting theories about ventilating a crawl space. One
theory says keep vents open in winter and closed in summer. That seems
counter-intuitive to me.

At one end of the house I have a window opening to the crawl space
measuring about three feet by three feet. In spring, summer and fall I
place a screen in the opening. During winter a place a solid door in
the opening.

At the other end of the house there is a small window (27 x 17). In
spring summer and fall it is covered by a screen. In winter by a solid
board.

Here's my question.

Should I cover the two aforementioned windows with the screen, or solid
covering, in the spring, summer, and fall? What about winter?

Is it necessary to cover the dirt floor with polyurethane?

Thanks.

If the crawl space ground stays ,moist the I say cover with poly, If it
stays dry there is no need. But do ventilate in warm months and close
off for winter for sure. unless you live in tropics.
Jack