Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mike Mike is offline

Default Philips magnovox projection TV dead now

i just called him. its a PTV775. i was close though. hehehe

"Mike" wrote in message
. ..
The guy forgot to hand me the the paper with the model number written
down, so im not sure what it is, but i got the sweep/power module here.

it was a 1997 model thats 53 or 54 inch.

The model number of the sweep board is APD008B002 GR7D LARGE SIGNAL.

Anyway, back to the problem.

everything was working just fine, but the glycol was shot. So everything
was going smooth, cleaned the CRTs and changed the fluid.

I had to fight to get the HV wires back in the splitter which is mounted
on the board.

I went to power it up, everything fired up at first, then the HV charged
up the CRTs. at that second i heard a couple of HV arcs from the splitter
vicinity and it powered down. I had this happen lots of times when the
wires arnt seated all the way.

Thats when i relized one of the HV wires curled up and didnt go in the
hole.

so i fixed it, but now its too late. For some strange reason, the set is
now dead. no power, no startup, nothing. ARGH. the only set i had do that
too.

I checked all the usuals, the fuses, all the inline circuit fuses, I check
the HOT and the HV output transistors, those are fine. All the diodes, i
checked the chopper transistor. Everything. I cant find anything shorted
or bad. checked all resistors. hmmmmm....

the chopper just dont want to start up. I removed the HOT out of circuit,
no difference. the system draws power when plugged in, but the power
supply no longer "chirps" when plugged in like it used to. I tested for
the 5 and 15v standby, they are present. but no other voltages are.
(chopper not running).

so now, im screwed, and dont know what went wrong in the circuit.

Any ideas?