Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Homer J Simpson Homer J Simpson is offline

Default Mini CD/Tuner/Cassette - displays 'er' when cd inserted

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

Wasn't Goodmans one of the great British HiFi names?

Yes, it was. Unfortunately, like many similar companies, who were
household names, they no longer exist in their own right. Others that
spring to mind are Bush and Ferguson. All of these good old companies'
trading names were bought up by Chinese and Korean manufacturers, and then
stuck onto some real crap products. The problem now is that one generation
on, mothers, fathers and grandparents are still remembering the " good old
days " when the names were synonymous with a quality product, and passing
this wisdom down, so the garbage still gets bought. I often have to tell
people that such items are not worth a half hour of my time, or that
spares are just not available, and equally often, I get an incredulous
response along the lines of " But it's a really good one ! It's a Bush. My
dad had a Bush telly for 20 years ... " It's a shame really. I have never
thought that it is right for established trading names to be allowed to be
sold on, but I guess that's life.

It's exactly the same in the USA; RCA, GE, even Philips (yes, the Dutch
company), along with other names like Singer (sewing machines) and many
others are now the sure sign of crap that won't sell without a name. You are
actually better off with the 'off brands' because they at least have some
standards.