Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Mini CD/Tuner/Cassette - displays 'er' when cd inserted

"Homer J Simpson" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

Agreed on all Mark says. However, if that doesn't cure it, as a
professional repairer who groans every time a Goodmans ( yes, they did
used to be a good company 30 years ago, but now it's just a Chinese badge
job ) appears on my bench, take my advice, and retire it gracefully to
landfill ...

Wasn't Goodmans one of the great British HiFi names?

Yes, it was. Unfortunately, like many similar companies, who were household
names, they no longer exist in their own right. Others that spring to mind
are Bush and Ferguson. All of these good old companies' trading names were
bought up by Chinese and Korean manufacturers, and then stuck onto some real
crap products. The problem now is that one generation on, mothers, fathers
and grandparents are still remembering the " good old days " when the names
were synonymous with a quality product, and passing this wisdom down, so the
garbage still gets bought. I often have to tell people that such items are
not worth a half hour of my time, or that spares are just not available, and
equally often, I get an incredulous response along the lines of " But it's a
really good one ! It's a Bush. My dad had a Bush telly for 20 years ... "
It's a shame really. I have never thought that it is right for established
trading names to be allowed to be sold on, but I guess that's life.

Arfa