Posted to rec.woodworking
RayV RayV is offline

Default How deep to route for a router plate?

Toller wrote:
I am putting in a 3/8" woodpecker plate. I bought the template, but there
are no instructions.

Do I go for 3/8", or maybe 7/16" and rely on the leveling screws to adjust
it?

I would go at least a 1/16 deeper than the thickness of the plate. I
would also 'break' the edge of the opening in your table, using a
chamfer bit or laminate edging bit. I was able to get my insert 'just
right' (BS detector goes off) but the sharp edge of the laminate
chipped in a few spots during use because I didn't chamfer it.