Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default Garage power supply - Recap [Longish]

Andy Wade wrote:

The relevant bit looks like http://www.mills37.plus.com/en-suite.JPG

Ah, that's useful. The simplest thing would be to take the cable down
the wall in the RH corner, if poss, as that's more than 600 from the
shower cubicle, i.e. is in Zone 3. Otherwise, is the visible part of
the shower enclosure on the left fixed or movable, and how high is the
fan, above floor level?

There is a fixed panel alongside the vanity unit, which is 500 wide and
about 1860 high, then a folding door - which is open in the photo. Does the
fixed panel alter the zoning definitions?

The centre of the fan is about 2100 above the floor. The existing cable
isn't long enough to reach the RH corner - it's just long enough to come
straight down and through the wall, with enough to make the joint on the
outside. I am 6'2" tall (sorry for the mixed units!) and I can't reach to
where the cable would be, whilst standing in the shower cubicle - so would
have great difficulty drilling through the cable whilst having a shower!

It is a bit of a pain in this case, although it looks as if chasing in
to 50+
mm deep might not be too difficult, if that is necessary.

I *could* chase it in to a depth of 50mm, or I suppose I could join it to
SWA above the ceiling, and bring the SWA down and through the wall. I might
even be able to join the cables below the ceiling in a universal box, and
then poke the box up through the hole - but I doubt whether 6mm SWA is
flexible enough to allow that.

I presume a new direct SWA run from the consumer unit to the garage is
out of the question.

It's highly undesirable, involving interfering with the decorations in
several rooms, moving a lot of furniture and and taking up a lot of floor
coverings and floor-boards. To be avoided if at all possible!

--
Cheers,
Roger