Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default Mini CD/Tuner/Cassette - displays 'er' when cd inserted

HI Mark

On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 11:45:36 GMT, "Mark D. Zacharias"
wrote:

Adrian wrote:
HI All

As a life-long 'tinkerer' with electronics - I do hate to see a piece
of kit that's potentially usable go into the landfill.

I was given this mini-hi-fi unit - Goodmans - MS188

Nothing exotic, flip-up CD on top, radio, then Cassette at the bottom.

When first tested - no joy on the CD - might play for a little bit -
but then stopped and showed 'er' on the 7-segment display.

As part of the 'moving house, do I really need to keep it' process g
- brought the unit inside, fed it a cd - and it ran quite happily.
Left it running overnight - and in the morning it's showing the same
'er' fault again.

When a CD is inserted and the lid closed, the CD spins up to speed,
but I can't hear any 'positioning' noise before I get the 'er'
display.

Strangely, I've just one to the machine which was switched off
overnight - and it powers up and plays (the same CD) without any
problem....

I know there's quite a bit in the FAQ about CD players - but, to be
honest, I don't really understand the details.....

Any suggestions for those with much more knowledge than me - things
that can be easily tested... or am I wasting my time and should I just
get rid of the thing ? (Kind of like admitting defeat !)

Many thanks in advance
Adrian - Suffolk UK

The first thing is to clean the laser lens - this may well fix your problem,
and it sounds like the lens should be readily visible with the lid open.

No, "cleaning discs" do not work. One can use common windows or lens
cleaning solution.

Have 2 cotton swabs (buds) ready. Fluff the ends. Have one moistened but not
dripping wet. You can dab it on your shirt if necessary to remove excess
liquid.

GENTLY clean the lens with a rolling, circular motion of the swab. Follow
with a dry swab to get any residue.

Many cd players have been revived this way.

But not this one, I'm afraid..... g
Did the head cleaning thing already.
The unit was working at the time - both before and after (!) -
but now it's playing silly so-and-so's again

Annoying ! - but thanks for the suggestion

Adrian
Suffolk UK