Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE Sylvain VAN DER WALDE is offline

Default Replacement volume control for early Pure Evoke-1 DAB receiver.

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
On Sat, 26 Aug 2006 13:23:22 GMT, "Sylvain VAN DER WALDE"
wrote:

Hello all.

At the present time I'm not trying to get it from the distributor,
although
I may not have any choice.
Now, we're not dealing with the usual volume control (potentiometer) which
has 3 terminals (one connected to a wiper, and the others connected to
each
end of a resistive track).
No, this damn "little critter" has 7 terminals and 2 mounting lugs
(printed
circuit mounting).

Has anyone seen or heard of such a volume control? Is it a proprietory
(I'm
not sure of the spelling) or a standard part?

At work I once had an oscilloscope which developed a fault with a
switch/pot. I simply contacted the importers who gladly sent me a
replacement part foc, which I fitted myself.

The scope was still under warranty, but they didn't seem to mind me
"doing it myself".

Try to speak to Pure about a replacement.

Wow! That was quick!

I wonder how long ago that was? There is no doubt that spares for radios,
televisions, VCR's, etc.. were easy to get (via the "Television" (formerly
"Practical Television") mag. adverts, in the first instance.
But my understanding is that manufacturers eventually became very inflexible
in supplying spares, even to qualified repairers. They had their (limited)
group of distributors, and dealt only with them. I'm talking of TV spares in
particular, and that was already quite a few years ago.
Anyway, I do intend to do as you suggest, if I really have to.
P.S. I'm intrigued (spelling?) by the design of that component, and am keen
to get some replies on that.

Sylvain.

--
Frank Erskine