Posted to uk.d-i-y
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE Sylvain VAN DER WALDE is offline

Default Replacement volume control for early Pure Evoke-1 DAB receiver.

Hello all.

At the present time I'm not trying to get it from the distributor, although
I may not have any choice.
Now, we're not dealing with the usual volume control (potentiometer) which
has 3 terminals (one connected to a wiper, and the others connected to each
end of a resistive track).
No, this damn "little critter" has 7 terminals and 2 mounting lugs (printed
circuit mounting).
It has a blue body measuring 16x15x5 millimetres.
Looking inside: the metal wiper assembly is attached to the plastic spindle,
and has 2 separate sections (one with 3 wipers, and the other with 2).
It looks as if there are 3 or 4 resistive tracks (it's difficult to be
precise without spending more time to observe them).
Has anyone seen or heard of such a volume control? Is it a proprietory (I'm
not sure of the spelling) or a standard part?
It's completely sealed, so I couldn't use my switch cleaner (which has
always worked for me).
Anyway, I've had to snip though the terminals and mounting lugs, as it's the
best way to deal with a "plated through" PCB.
Can anyone understand/explain the design theory behind this item, and/or
suggest source/s of supply?
P.S. I believe that the receiver is designed in the UK, but it's made in
China.
P.P.S. If it had been any other fault, I would have sent the radio to Pure
for repair (if such a repair was deemed economical). I have many radio
receivers.

Thanks in advance.

Sylvain.