Posted to uk.d-i-y
Derek ^ Derek ^ is offline

Default how do lifts work/stop working?

On 26 Aug 2006 10:47:19 GMT, mike wrote:

Do escape doors on the top of lift cars exist outside Hollywood?

Maybe they're also for maintenance.

I've never seen one, I can't imagine what good one would be - what to you
do now you're standing among the cables and pulleys?

The firemen could get you out with a couple of ladders to the floor
above.

There used to one in the lift when I went to UNI. It was a 9 floor
building, at lunchtimes and at the end of the day there used to be
long queues for the lift at every floor, the car which was already
full used to stop and open it's doors at every floor. Merely tripping
the microswitch on the hatch caused the car to stop and the controller
to do a reset thereby "forgetting" all the pending stops. :-))

The nearest I've seen is on the London Underground, so long ago they're
probably replaced, where lifts could be placed side by side in the shaft
and passengers transferred, but this was all under manual control by staff.

DG