Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default Mini CD/Tuner/Cassette - displays 'er' when cd inserted

HI All

As a life-long 'tinkerer' with electronics - I do hate to see a piece
of kit that's potentially usable go into the landfill.

I was given this mini-hi-fi unit - Goodmans - MS188

Nothing exotic, flip-up CD on top, radio, then Cassette at the bottom.

When first tested - no joy on the CD - might play for a little bit -
but then stopped and showed 'er' on the 7-segment display.

As part of the 'moving house, do I really need to keep it' process g
- brought the unit inside, fed it a cd - and it ran quite happily.
Left it running overnight - and in the morning it's showing the same
'er' fault again.

When a CD is inserted and the lid closed, the CD spins up to speed,
but I can't hear any 'positioning' noise before I get the 'er'
display.

Strangely, I've just one to the machine which was switched off
overnight - and it powers up and plays (the same CD) without any
problem....

I know there's quite a bit in the FAQ about CD players - but, to be
honest, I don't really understand the details.....

Any suggestions for those with much more knowledge than me - things
that can be easily tested... or am I wasting my time and should I just
get rid of the thing ? (Kind of like admitting defeat !)

Many thanks in advance
Adrian - Suffolk UK