Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] stratus46@yahoo.com is offline

Default CRT tube - Releasing vacuum for tube removal/disposal

Simon Webberist wrote:
I need to remove the picture tube from a 14" computer monitor. I'd like
to release the vacuum first because i think i should before i remove the
tensioned wires holding in the tube. I have removed the neck board and
can now see the indexing plastic of the socket. That indexing plastic
is siliconed on with white silicon and i can't seperate it with a knife.
I'm thinking of using a dremel to saw through the indexing plastic as
that is where i'm thinking i should be filing then snapping off anyway.

Does this sound like the way to go? I really want to release the
vacuum. How do people usually let out the vacuum?

I pulled off the Ultor cap where the annode lead attaches, but it's all
glass under it, theres no metal i can drill.

from the faq:
http://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_mo...ml#MONFAQD_011
"The vacuum can be safely released (Let out? Sucked in? What does one do with an unwanted vacuum?)without spectacular effects by breaking the glass seal in the center of the CRT socket (may be hidden by the indexing plastic of the socket). Cover the entire CRT with a heavy blanket when doing this for additional protection. Once the vacuum is gone, it is just a big glass bottle though there may be
some moderately hazardous materials"

I tried searching google, but I couldn't come up with anything except
the same FAQ.

Thanks,
Simon

I've only done this with Trinitrons. Small scratch awl in the anode
connection and bop it with a small wieght - a pliers is just fine. It
pokes a little hole to let the air back in (the vacuum out). It just
hisses quietly for a short time. The 20" one was pretty cool but
usually they're just 14" bottles.

GG