Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Sharrock Brian Sharrock is offline

Default Coving Joints and How To Do Them Without Tears

"Stuart" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 16:10:06 +0100, NoSpam wrote:

Stuart wrote:
On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 09:04:37 +0100, NoSpam
wrote:

Stuart wrote:
I am putting 100mm plaster coving around my bathroom ceiling .I have
just done
one seperate section that consisted of 3 straight short lengths with
two
straight ends and two internal corners and that was bad enough .The
main section
still to be done is about 8 Metres with 7 internal corners and 3
external .

I am looking for tips as to how to do this with the minimum of trouble
.I was
using a small plastic device called a Wonder Mitre .I got it years ago
but I see
Axminster have it here

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...sfile=1&jump=0

The one I have is plastic and tends to spread when you put any
pressure on it
and if you don't it slips off position . Looking at the Axminster one
it looks
like it might be metal so it could be more practical ..I'd prefer to
make a half
decent job so minimisiing the use of filler although I may be
optimistic in
saying that .

Any advice will be appreciated .
thx
Stuart
Get a cheap mitre saw - I bought one for about £10 from a market
vendor.
Use support pins. Score the wall and paint with dilute PVA. Use sloping
joints if you need to join lengths during a run - one inside corner and
one outside corner.
Dave

I will be using pins while the adhesive sets but
"Sloping Joints ?" What are they .?

Stuart

A vertical joint is very obvious where two pieces have to join on a run;
if you cut one as an internal mitre and the other as an external mitre
they fit together and it's easier to get an invisible joint. Think
carefully about the cuts before committing hand to saw to coving!

Dave

Ah right .Of course ..

thx
Stuart

'Sloping joints' are more usually referred to as 'Scarf' joints .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarf_joint
quote The scarf joint is not preferred when strength is required, so it is
most often used in decorative situations, such as the application of trim or
moulding. The scarf joint is commonly used in construction fit out tasks,
including fitting of skirting, picture rails, dado rails or chair rails,
handrails etc.. /quote

BTW: for coving, dado, chair rail skirting board etc ... buy a 'Magic Mitre'
(QVC).
It'll solve all your problems including the scarf joint.

--

Brian