Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ancient_Hacker Ancient_Hacker is offline

Default aluminum or not? simple method to tell?

Arfa Daily wrote:
"Homer J Simpson" wrote in message

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

I've seen this stuff too. I think it's called Wood's Metal. I don't know
what actual metals make up the alloy though. Two places I know that they
use it are as the safety plug in a pressure cooker lid, and as the
hold-off bar in fire sprinkler systems, both cases where a very low
melting temperature is required.

IIRC it's also used for some molding processes - and in the toy "Metal
Molder".

OK. I've just looked it up. It's 50% bismuth, 25% lead, 12.5% tin and 12.5%
cadmium, so I suppose that has now spelt its death as a useful material ...
With lead and cadmium in it, ( and I don't know what the potential toxicity
of bismuth is, but it *sounds* dangerous ... )

Bismuth is no problem, you can even drink it by the gallon, and do if
you take lots of "Pepto-Bismol".

The lead you probably don't want to chew on, the Tin isnt too bad, but
the cadmium you certainly don't want to mess with.