Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate Darrell Feltmate is offline

Default newbie: pen making advice

Bear
You might like my web site. It has sections on sharpening, tool making,
projects and stuff you need to get started.
http://aroundthewoods.com

--

______
God bless and safe turning
"mac davis" wrote in message
On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 18:23:39 -0500, bear wrote:

Hello everyone. My name is Troy and I'm brand new to turning. I don't
even have a lathe yet. I'm thinking of making tops, pens, pencils,
pointers, parts for toy cars, etc.
I am disabled and so don't have a lot of money to throw around. Can
someone please guide me in the right direction? I don't mind starting
simple and then getting better tools later.

Troy
knoxville, iowa

I'd suggest the jet Mini, Troy...

Tons of them around and very few sell used, which indicates to me that

folks
keep them when they move up to a larger lathe.. (I did)

As shipped, it can be on a stand or table top... Not sure if your

disability
requires this, but it is a consideration.. Mine was on a workmate for a

while,
then a sawhorse..

If you shop a little, a new mini should be less than $300 including

shipping.. A
starter set of chisels is from $20 to $100 depending on brand, etc... my
preference is "mid-level"..

Hang out in the group and ask lots of questions, that's how I learned...

great
group of folks here that can save you a lot of time and frustration on the
learning curve...
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis