Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default Which wood for dining table project?

On Fri, 25 Aug 2006 17:42:39 -0700, Dan wrote:

I'm planning to make my 1st "real" woodworking project, a base for a
glass topped dining room table. The basic design will be a bit like
this metal one, only executed in wood:
http://www.dwr.com/productdetail.cfm?id=0375 Top size will be 72" x 42"
x .5". Base will be stained to match some chairs I have, a color they
call "wenge", or as close as I can come. So, I'm wondering what wood
to use? A hardwood of course. I'm leaning towards beech, birch or
maple. I believe the chairs are birch. Planning to use boards 3.5" x
.75" finished size, glued 2 & 3 thick for the various portions. No
doubt maple would be the most expensive of the 3. Again I'm very new at
this, so any observations about the relative merits/costs of these
woods, or of the basic concept, would be appreciated. My workshop is a
bit meager at the moment, limited to hand tools & basic power tools
(drills, various sanders, router, circular & jig saws) a drill press, &
a very nice Bosch 12" SCMS.

TIA

Dan

Oak, Maple, and Cherry are the three basic hardwoods, but there are
many more. It is good to see which ones are a good buy because prices
vary greatly on location and supply.