Posted to alt.home.repair
Italian Mason Italian Mason is offline

Default Broken concrete stoop - repair or replace?

3) rip up the old stoop and replace it with a concrete base but use
brick on top.

I would use brick...not because I am a mason but it sounds like it
would be in keeping with the age of the house. You can use "split brick
pavers" (these are real bricks split NOT concrete PAVERS) If money is
an issue you can have the concrete poured to accomidate the paver
thickness (which is the way they should do it anyway) and do the pavers
at a later date. Note; quarry tiles still are very slick when wet and
are more exspensive than brick, full or splits.
Another option is that if the concrete is in good condition just remove
the "tiles" and put the brick on top. At 2" thick they are probably
sitting on atleast 3/4 or so of a mortar bed that gives you almost 3"
to fill back in, common red brick are about 2 1/4" thick plus a bed and
your there..or if you go with used brick (age of the house) they are
slightly thicker...
cas wrote:
We had a vehicle hit the front of our house and it damaged the stoop
out front. The stoop was old, the top was concrete with some 8x8x2(or
so) concrete tiles on top. Some of the tiles are chipped, others are
broken. The stoop still is solid except for these areas.

Now that we're installing the door we need to plan for the stoop
replacement. It's 4x7.

There are several ways we can do this:
1) rip up the old stoop and replace it with a concrete one, brushing it
for effect.
2) rip up the old stoop and replace it with a brick one.
3) rip up the old stoop and replace it with a concrete base but use
brick on top.
4) rip up the old stoop and replace it with a concrete base but use
quarry tiles.

The stoop faces west and gets afternoon sun. At noon about 12" of it is
shaded, the rest exposed. No sun in the morning.

What would be the best option for us? I sort of like the brick look
since it would match the house (which was built in '23). Concrete would
suffice since all of the other stoops on the street are concrete (some
plain, most are painted).

For #3 or #4, would pavers work ok?

I'll probably have to source this out as I'm about to leave the area
for 2.5 months.