Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan Joseph Meehan is offline

Default lighted switches & aluminum wiring

RBM wrote:
I doubt it has anything to do with the light in the switch, but
rather the screw terminals were made for copper wire only. Find a
switch that says on the terminals cu-al these are rated for either
copper or aluminum

Or you can pigtail copper wire using an approved connection device.

wrote in message
ups.com...
Our home has aluminum wiring. In the past, a couple of light
switches went bad and I replaced them with lighted switches.

A couple more switches went bad. This time they control the same
light. I went out to Lowe's to buy lighted switches. But this time
the lighted switches they had specified "not to be used with aluminum
wiring."

Now the previous lighted switches that I installed I honestly don't
remember reading anything about not installing them if you have
aluminum wiring.

We are concerned about safety. So what is the actual guidelines now
for lighted switches and aluminum wiring. Is it that lighted
switches should not be used with aluminum wiring at all - or - does
the vendor that supplies Lowe's lighted switches just being very
conservative. I'm kind of perplexed as why this is a concern at all. It
seems like
the little bit of electricity being used by a lighted switch is
miniscule in comparison to what a light fixture would use.

Would appreciate any insight anybody could provide.

Thank you,
Jim

--
Joseph Meehan