Posted to uk.d-i-y
. . is offline

Default front door

Christian McArdle wrote:
I have also read that replacing wood with upvc actually lowers
the price of the house.

rubbish. 99.9% of buyers are not that discerning and /prefer/
the draughtproofing and sound insulation that upvc dg gives.

We must be two of the 1%. We wouldn't have upvc for the world and
can't see how it can be more draughtproof or insulative than well
fitting timber.

Well, the 0.1%. Count me in too. However, the effect on price varies
according to location. In a nice Victorian area, uPVC will knock
thousands off the house. On a scummy concrete estate, it is an
advantage.

Christian.

/obviously/ there are exceptions but, in general, upvc double glazing
puts at least 3 to 5k on the value of a house in the same way that
installing central heating puts at least 3 to 5k on the value of a house.

they are both major boxes on the buyers ticksheet.