Posted to uk.d-i-y
sm_jamieson sm_jamieson is offline

Default extractor fan but shallow soffit

I need to fit a bathroom extractor fan, and don't want a direct air
path through-the-wall unit, due to the problems with them letting in
the gales (even the ones with flaps which clatter).
So I want to fit a ceiling / soffit vent type. The problem is, the
soffit is very shallow, only about 4 inches, and the space inside the
wooden box of the soffit would only allow a vent about 2 inches deep.
Could I use a long thin vent under the soffit without problems ?
Or any other ideas for a non-direct air path through the wall (solid 9"
masonry).
Thanks,
Simon.