Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall Andy Hall is offline

Default replacing halogen lamps

On 2006-08-25 10:43:38 +0100, The Natural Philosopher said:

Christian McArdle wrote:
Domestic fuel consumption is actually far greater than all the
electricity consumption of fuel put together, and transport exceeds
them both.

Perhaps that is because of lack of insulation. All the houses I have
run have had electricity consumption and gas consumption at a similar
cost. I don't recognise the heating being considerably more than
electricity.

Christian.

It may well be: you are certainly the exception, not the rule.

I think this is true of modern urban terraced/flat or semi-d type
houses..but a larger detached house has a lot more exposed wall per
unit floor area. whereas for a given floor area lighting requirements
remain more or less constant.

You might say that that is a recipe to insist that all housing should
be built in terraced or tower block form...;-)

..OTOH urban STREET LIGHTING is a HUGE waste of power - a fact that
some councils have twigged to.

Absolutely. Anything that could be done to dispense with those
hideous sodium and mercury vapour lights would be superb.