Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Where's the spam gone?

Anna Kettle wrote:
On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 10:02:17 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

www.clara.net

Setting up their filters is not easy, but about 80% of it can be stopped
by adding a rule that BOUNCES mail from sites marked as blacklisted open
relays.

ISP's maintain an active policy of blacklisting..there are nerds who
forward mail that is spam to these sites and if an open relay is
detected they automatically add it to the blacklists.

Next step is to block anyone who hasn't got a valid reply address. That
ditches about half the rest. These get silently deleted as there is
nowhere to bounce to.

Then blocking ALL the AOL, yahoo and usual domains gets rid of most of
the rest - though in this case I have to punch holes for the one or two
people I know that actually use those domains.

Then a final filter on my desktop allows me to trash most of the rest
that slips through. Which is frankly because I have currently about 10
email identities on three domains..and haven't set up decent filters on
all of them.

I used to use clara but stopped cos they changed their dialup number
to one I couldnt access at a reasonable rate. That was some time ago
and I expect the situation has changed by now so I'll look at them
again.

I use ADSL. Not cheap from them - 30 quid for half a meg - but the
servers are bloody good and I get a bit of web space as well. Surely you
are on ADSL by now?

And anyway, you don;t need to use Clara for broadband etc to use them
for mail.

When I was on ISDN, I used them for mail reception on my domains and
used DEMON to get to them. Outgoing mail had to go via demon of course,
but I can access my claranet mailboxes from anywhere in the world via
any ISP.

I can see that the bank holiday weekend will be delightfully full of
me investigating spamtrapping Thanks for the tips of how to trap it

I cant just dump my email address cos I use it for business but
thankfully it is on an indirection so I can change service providers
relatively painlessly if I need to

Thats excellent. I transfered mine the same way to Clara anyway..and for
simplicity changed the hosting rather than the indirection to hem. Its a
simple matter of getting the ISPTAG changed and then the new provider
can edit the master files themselves.

Moving your domain and mail first and keeping the same ISP for the
actual transport stuff is the easy way to go.

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repair and conservation
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642