Posted to rec.woodworking
Roger Shoaf Roger Shoaf is offline

Default Lexan for jigs

wrote in message
ps.com...
I see most crosscut sleds use 3/4" plywood for the base, but why
couldn't I use 1/4" Lexan instead? It's a stable material, isn't it?

Mike

Lexan is good stuff. The down side is that 1/4 inch is really flexible so
you would have to back it up with the plywood anyway. Cost is also an issue
unless you have it scrap.

Others have mentioned shattering. If you avoid sharp inside corners impact
resistance goes through the roof.

Poly carbonate is rather soft and will scratch easily. They do make a
scratch resistant grade but it is usually used for glazing.

One thing that does work great for jigs is Formica laminated
wood/MDF/particle board. The particle board is the last choice except for
cost if you can get sink cutouts cheap and or free. Good till you drop it
or get it wet.

--

__
Roger Shoaf