Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default replacing halogen lamps

Pete C wrote:
On Thu, 24 Aug 2006 17:36:42 +0100, Andy Hall
wrote:

I'd have to factor in all of my various servers and networking equipment......

There's something that could do with creative regulation, why do PCs
use 50-100W when laptops use 15W (including the screen!).

Wel I have just replaced my 17" monitor that was about 50W, with a 19"
LCD which on standby, is about 3W I think. About 30W illuminated..

The PCs - well..it costs money to go for ultra small chips that can
still switch fast enough at lower power. The problem is inherent to
Microsnot..it needs giga flops to even put the welcome screen up, let
alone the bloatware it normally runs.

At the very least there should be energy labelling.

Intel have got a lot to answer for...

No Microsft actually. The typical American response to a design issue
'build it crude and then throw a big engine at it'

cheers,
Pete.